Google
 

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Refactoring Tools

ref: http://www.refactoring.com/tools.html

Refactoring is a useful technique that's easily done manually. However tools can help refactoring go much faster. The first refactoring tool to be built was the Smalltalk Refactoring Browser. Smalltalk's simple yet powerful language certainly allowed such a sophisticated tool to be built relatively easily. Sadly Smalltalk isn't a mainstream commercial language.Since then we've seen refactoring tools appear for other languages, beginning in 2001 with several tools for Java that passed the refactoring rubicon.

On this site I list the various refactoring tools I know about. I don't attempt to review these tools in any depth. I just list them on this site to give you a starting point for your own investigations. I don't accept payment for listings, although I always appreciate a free copy:-) Occasionally I do some consulting for refactoring tools companies. The comments on tools are either mine or theirs (their's are in italics).

If you want to find out opinions about refactoring tools and their capabilities, I'd suggest a trip to the refactoring mailing list. If you have a tool you'd like to have mentioned then send details to me, but also do send to the mailing list - if for no other reason than it takes me a while to update this page.


Information about Refactoring

ref: http://www.refactoring.com/sources.html

Books | General Sites | Book Supplements | PhD Theses | People


--
Happy day, happy life!

No comments: